Everyone has often faced in their lives the problem of insomnia during the period of the onset of important events. I did not manage to fall asleep before a difficult exam, an interview for a new job, a big holiday or a public appearance. But not everyone knows that there is one effective method that helps to plunge into sleep at any time.
If you began to notice that you can not easily fall asleep in anticipation of a certain life event on a regular basis, it is worth trying the technique "4-7-8". Thanks to the funny and unusual name it is very easy to remember for any person. It works even after a few days of lack of sleep. And this method is advised by a lot of specialists in meditation and wellness practices.
Andrew Vale was actively involved in the study of the "4-7-8" method. This doctor of medical science of Harvard discovered the application of the method to Indian yogis for meditation and seeking harmony with oneself. That's why we can safely say about the safety of "4-7-8".
So, how fast to fall asleep:
- 4 - Try to breathe freely for four seconds, breathing in the air with your nose.
- 7 - Then hold your breath for seven seconds.
- 8 - In the next eight seconds, slowly exhale the air with your mouth.
Cyclic repetition of all actions in the amount that is right for you, will ensure a quick sleep and good health in the morning.
Why does "4-7-8" work:
An organism in a state of stress or fear begins to produce a large amount of adrenaline and norepinephrine with the adrenal cortex. These known hormones can increase the frequency of respiratory movements, making them less deep (surface type of breathing). Such an increase is physiological, that is, all people are normal.
The method for falling asleep a minute has an effect similar to that of soothing medications. In addition, holding your breath and slowly exhaling after that, we reduce the heart rate. By concentrating on counting seconds, you calm down, thoughts come to order, a sense of fear or anxiety slowly disappear. As a result of these processes, the body quickly becomes relaxed, as if you were anesthetized.
Thanks to the active application of the technique, it is possible to noticeably improve the quality of sleep and the speed of falling asleep. This is especially useful for insomnia before the wedding, business meeting, exam, public speaking.
Simple steps to improve the quality of sleep:
Recommendations for a healthy sleep are given by a well-known psychotherapist, Ph.D. Pyatnitsky Nikolay Yurievich. His advice includes the following:
- It is necessary not to go to bed late, the most optimal time is before 23:00.
- In winter, sleep more than in the summer. Add one more hour to your usual sleep time. But do not forget to focus on your feelings about the duration of a night's rest.
- Do not get involved in the constant intake of medications, for example, melatonin. It can take no more than 2-3 days (for example, when changing time zones)
- Before going to bed, always air the bedroom, this will improve the quality of your rest.
- After 18:00 the body will be very useful for muffled lighting.
- Pay attention to such a method as light therapy with the help of specialized lamps.
Music for relaxation and early sleep
To relax the body, you can also try using sound therapy. It is based on listening to the song "Weightless" by the band "Marconi Union". The effect of melody is calm, relaxation, sound sleep.
A joint study by doctors at the Mindlab International laboratory determined which melody is ideal for relaxing, effectively calling sleep. One of these rhythms is "Weightless". It is ideal for synchronizing the pulse with brain waves.
According to scientists, when listening to this melody listeners:
- lowers blood pressure
- slows down the heart rate, slows down breathing
- the level of the stress hormone falls
- decreased brain activity
- there is a feeling of complete relaxation.
The active use of relaxing and harmonizing techniques, including "4-7-8", will bring in order not only the rest time. All events in life will take their place due to less fatigue, lack of irritability and manifestations of constant stress before important events.