- The main causes of pain in the temples
- A little anatomy
- When not only it hurts, but the condition worsens
- When the pain in the temples is the main symptom
- If the pain is accompanied by nausea
- If the pain is severe
- The causes of pain, depending on its location and nature
- What to do with pain in the temple
The appearance of just one such symptom, like a headache in the temples, can permanently disable. Sometimes he just stops working, settling in the side of the skull with a heavy and aching sensation. But in some cases, the pain that occupies the temple is accompanied by nausea or deterioration of well-being. The reason for this condition should be found out by a neurologist, sometimes together with related specialists. We'll tell you when to visit this doctor you need urgently, even by "First Aid", and when you can make an appointment for a scheduled appointment.
The main causes of pain in the temples
There are about 45 diseases that cause pain, localized in the temporal region. The main ones are: increased blood pressure , migraine , muscle strain and infectious diseases, which are accompanied by poisoning the body. Dangerous diseases, such as stroke or meningitis , rarely cause this symptom. However, this can happen.
The causes of pain in the temples are conventionally divided into:
- . Primary . These are self-existing diseases associated with vessels or nerves of the head:
- tension headache;
- cluster headache;
- trigeminal neuralgia .
- , когда головная боль появилась вследствие патологических состояний в организме или в самой голове, когда наблюдается нарушение нормального функционирования одного или нескольких органов. Secondary , when the headache appeared due to pathological conditions in the body or in the head itself, when there is a violation of the normal functioning of one or more organs. It:
- cerebral stroke;
- trauma to the head or neck;
- intracranial swelling or metastasis of neoplasm of other location in the brain;
- epilepsy ;
- change in the normal functioning of blood vessels supplying the brain, due to hormonal imbalance caused by oral contraceptives, pregnancy;
- intoxication: for infectious diseases (influenza, angina, erysipelas), poisoning with nitrates or other substances contained in food, alcohol;
- inflammation of intracranial structures: abscess of the temporal lobe, meningitis, encephalitis;
- pathology of the structures of the skull: diseases of the paranasal sinuses, eyes, ears;
- mental illness.
A little anatomy
The temporal region is a site located in the projection of the temporal bone - the structure that is up from the ear and behind it the bony protuberance - the mastoid process. It can be said that this is a zone going for 2-3 cm behind the ear and extending almost to the forehead.
The temporal bone is derived from the fusion of several bone parts. It is thinner than the rest of the bones, and can transmit an ultrasound signal (this is used to perform ultrasound in children whose fontanelle has already closed, and adults). It is arranged so that it has grooves, channels and protrusions for passage in them of a large number of vessels and nerves. It is in it is the cavity in which the ear is located.
The skin in this localization is thin and smooth; hair bulbs appear only in the back of her parts. The subcutaneous tissue here is loose.
In the temporal region are:
- 2 muscles controlling the auricle: one of them ensures its movement forward, the other - up;
- lymphatic vessels that are sent to their checkpoints, lymph nodes located in front and behind the ear;
- a superficial temporal artery that extends from a large external carotid artery;
- superficial temporal vein, which goes alongside the same artery;
- in the canal of the temporal bone there is a smaller internal carotid artery than the outer one;
- anuricular-temporal and zygomatic-temporal nerves;
- branch of the trigeminal nerve, responsible for transferring to the brain the state of the muscles, skin and subcutaneous tissue in the area in front of the ear, above and on both sides of the ear, as well as the ear pin itself. The main part of the trigeminal nerve, which is its distributor - its node - lies in one of the depressions of the temporal bone;
- the facial nerve, which transmits the facial muscle of the face, as it moves, lies in one of the channels of the temporal bone;
- pre-door-cochlear nerve, responsible for ensuring the balance of the human body;
Also in the deepening of the temporal bone pass cranial nerves, wandering and glossopharyngeal, reaching the internal structures located in the neck and thorax (the vagus nerve reaches the abdominal cavity). Their damage affects many functions of the body.
In front of the temporal bone there is a pit for the temporomandibular joint, which provides movement of the jaw (opening the mouth, chewing, moving right-left). It is held in place by bundles, going in a different direction.
What structures can hurt in the field of a temple
Why does my head hurt? This means that there has been an irritation of pain receptors that are in:
- subcutaneous tissue;
- arteries and veins;
- nasal sinuses;
- vessels of the dura mater;
- veins and venous sinuses in the cranial cavity;
- structures of the temporomandibular joint
The bones themselves can not hurt, and if a fracture of their internal structures occurs, without damaging the periosteum (in the skull bones it is possible), then there will be no pain. The same applies to brain damage: until the cerebral compression, impaired absorption of the cerebrospinal fluid or deterioration of the venous outflow occurs, the head will not be ill. There will be symptoms indicative of brain damage, but - without a headache.
Depending on the mechanism by which the pain in the temples develops, it happens:
- , связанной с изменением диаметра сосудов, ухудшением оттока по венам; vascular , associated with changes in the diameter of the vessels, deterioration of outflow through the veins;
- , когда, например, в каком-то участке сформировался мышечный спазм, или в месте перехода с нерва на мышцу развилась повышенная импульсация; muscular , when, for example, in some area a muscle spasm has formed, or in the place of transition from the nerve to the muscle increased impulse;
- , когда происходит раздражение нерва; neuralgic , when there is irritation of the nerve;
- , связанной с изменением ликворного давления; liquorodynamic , associated with changes in cerebrospinal fluid pressure;
- , связанной с возникновением очага патологической импульсации в системах болевых и противоболевых рецепторов; central , associated with the emergence of the focus of pathological impulses in pain and analgesic receptors;
- , когда включаются несколько механизмов сразу. mixed , when several mechanisms are switched on at once.
When not only it hurts, but the condition worsens
So the following several diseases and conditions.
Usually this condition develops with the already existing hypertensive disease or other condition (for example, chronic kidney disease, nephropathy of pregnant women or adrenal tumor - pheochromocytoma), accompanied by frequent recording of high blood pressure figures. But it can be the first sign of the disease. When the pressure rises quickly and abruptly, the following symptoms appear:
- pain in the temples and nausea;
- feeling of "inner trembling";
- trembling of hands;
- "Flies" before the eyes;
- anxious sensation, panic, feeling of lack of air;
- cold sweat;
- there may be pain in the heart, impaired vision, tinnitus.
The attack is provoked by stress, reception of a large quantity of coffee , physical overload on the eve. It usually begins at night or in the morning. The pain is felt in the temples and occiput, which is more often pulsating, but can also carry a pressing, aching character. With a gradual decrease in the pressure of hypotensive drugs, the pain goes away. More on the symptoms of hypertensive crisis .
This state rarely develops in an "empty place." It is usually preceded by:
- conditions accompanied by increased blood pressure: hypertension, pheochromocytoma, acute and chronic glomerulonephritis, exacerbation of chronic pyelonephritis , chronic renal failure ;
- strong emotional stress;
- severe physical activity;
- various anomalies in the structure of blood vessels that feed the brain.
In these four cases, stroke is most often a type of hemorrhage in the brain structures;
- atherosclerosis of the vessels of the head and neck;
- varicose veins of the lower extremities, when the thrombus associated with a delayed current in these veins is in the expansion of the venous wall;
- thrombophlebitis , especially when the rhythm of the heart is not always equal, that is, there are arrhythmias.
Stroke has the property of developing either in the morning, after rest (when it is associated with ischemia of the brain area), or after severe stress / discharge.
It manifests itself with sharp pain, more often in the temples and back of the head. It is so unexpected and strong that it is compared to a "blow with a dagger". After this, there may come a loss of consciousness and the preservation of such a state of consciousness or deepening it to a coma for several hours or days. In parallel, there are symptoms that indicate a brain damage:
- noisy, rare, rapid breathing, or one that has an irregular rhythm;
- impossibility to speak;
- loss of ability to understand speech;
- asymmetry of the face;
- difficulty or impossibility of movement of the limbs of one side;
- difficulty swallowing;
- nasal voice and others.
Meningitis, encephalitis, meningoencephalitis
These are diseases in which a microbe (virus, bacterium, fungus) enters the cerebral membranes (meningitis) or into the brain substance (encephalitis), inflaming one structure or both (meningoencephalitis). It can happen after a head injury, against a background of diseases of the ears, lungs, nose, as a complication of rubella , mumps , flu, chicken pox, and also as an independent disease.
- temperature increase;
- pain, giving to the temple;
- vomiting, not associated with eating;
- increased sensitivity of the skin: a slight touch is felt as a strong depression and can be painful;
- to look at the light unpleasantly;
- To sit more painfully, therefore it is necessary to lie;
- when lying with a head thrown back or on its side a little easier;
- there may be a rash on the body.
If encephalitis develops, then, to the listed symptoms or in place of some of them, focal symptoms appear like those listed in a cerebral stroke.
Abscess of the brain
This disease, which for reasons (open trauma to the skull, lung disease, teeth, ears, nasal cavity) is very similar to encephalitis. It also develops when the bacterial inflammation of the brain is limited, then there is a softening in its center, and purulent inflammation does not extend to the surrounding tissue, but melts this site.
- a headache that can give to whiskey;
- temperature increase;
- dry mouth;
- a disturbance of consciousness from drowsiness to coma;
- nausea and vomiting;
- focal symptoms.
This disease manifests itself by fever, weakness, pain in the forehead and temples, muscles and joints, sore throat and sometimes behind the breastbone. Immediately, a cough may appear, and sputum with bloody streaks can immediately cough. Coryza appears later, lean, snot with blood.
This term refers to the accumulation of the separated (more often - purulent) in the air filled cavities of the skull. Only 4 of them - 2 frontal and 2 maxillary - lie on the surface and can be examined using the X-ray of the skull. The rest lie behind the nasal cavity, close to the brain. Inflammation of any of them can be manifested by pain in the right or left temple, fever, weakness, nausea. In the event that the maxillary sinuses or frontal sinuses become inflamed, pressing them over the skin will intensify the pain.
When the pain in the temples is the main symptom
Consider the main pathologies with pain in the temples, based on the localization of pain
If only the whiskey hurt
Headaches in the region of the temples can accompany:
- более 20 часов. Fasting for more than 20 hours. In addition to pain in the head, mainly in both temporal regions, there are no other symptoms.
- , вызывающее гипоксию мозга, приводит к головной боли. A prolonged stay in a stuffy room , causing hypoxia of the brain, leads to a headache.
- , страх тоже приводит к появлению данного симптома без других признаков. Severe stress , fear also leads to the appearance of this symptom without other symptoms. This is due to the release of adrenaline, narrowing the blood vessels and leading to a deterioration in the blood supply to the brain.
- : угарным газом, алкоголем, медикаментами. Intoxication : carbon monoxide, alcohol, medicines. In addition to pain in the temples, there is still nausea, vomiting, and sometimes - a violation of consciousness.
- . Lack of sleep . Such pain in the temples is also associated with a worsening of the blood supply to the brain.
- . Migraine . In this case, the right or left temple hurts, that is, the pain is localized on one side. Pain can be preceded by a so-called aura: strange smells, sounds or shiny "flies" in front of the eyes.
- . Temporal arteritis . In this case, large and medium arteries that lie near the carotid artery become inflamed. As a result, the blood supply to various small areas of the brain is gradually impaired. The disease manifests with pain in the temple - right or left. The pain can be blunt and monotonous, and also have a sharp, pulsating character; sometimes extends to the neck area. When you touch the skin of the scalp, the pain increases, and the sick temple can be swollen. Chewing pain can also increase. An attack of pain can be accompanied by impaired vision, a blurred vision, an increase in temperature. Untreated arteritis can cause blindness, and subsequently become complicated by a cerebral stroke.
- у женщин во время менструации и климакса . Hormonal imbalance in women during menstruation and menopause . The pain occurs in both temples, it can spread to the back of the head. The syndrome is connected with the fact that hormones affect the tone of the vessels, and changing their amount changes the tone, that is, the vascular clearance. This leads to a worsening of the blood supply to the brain and, accordingly, a headache.
- (усилителем вкуса). Eating foods with sodium glutamate (a taste enhancer). In this case, after 15-30 minutes after consuming Chinese dishes, roasted nuts, turkey prepared in their own juice, chips, potato snack foods, soups from canned products, there appears a dull throbbing pain in the temples. She gives on the forehead, accompanied by excessive sweating, tension in the muscles of the face and jaw.
- , которые, в основном, содержатся в хот-догах («хот-договая головная боль»). Poisoning with nitrites , which are mainly found in hot dogs ("hot dog headache"). A large number of them are also found in corned beef, Bologna sausage, bacon, salami, smoked fish. Pain in the temples appears about half an hour after eating such a meal.
- . Chocolate headache . In this case, whiskey begins to ache after eating chocolate. This is due to the presence in the tile of caffeine and phenylethylamine, which cause vasoconstriction.
- , сопровождающиеся интоксикацией: болезнь Лайма , бруцеллез , ангина, стоматологические заболевания. Infectious diseases , accompanied by intoxication: Lyme disease , brucellosis , tonsillitis, dental diseases. Here, in addition to the headache, symptoms that are characteristic of the underlying disease will be noted.
When the pain migrates
If it hurts in the area of the temples, it occurs paroxysmally, and the pain periodically moves to the back of the head, then to the forehead, then to the center of the head, accompanied by a feeling of anxiety, anxiety, "discomfort" in the head, it is a psychogenic headache. In other words, the cause of this condition is not in violation of the structure or function of any organ, but in the resulting stress or features of the psyche.
If the pain is localized in the frontotemporal area
In the region of the forehead and temples pain is projected with a large number of diseases. They are as follows:
- Ascent to a greater height or descent to a greater depth.
- . Approximately every 20 people earn pain in the fronto-temporal area during or after flights in the plane .
- . Pain in the temples and forehead can be with migraine . It is pulsating, accompanied by intolerance of sounds and bright light, worsening is noted even with ordinary walking, but the pain subsides a little.
- . Tension headache . It appears after work, when either the neck and the head of a person were in an uncomfortable position for a long time, or there was stress. The disease can be chronic, manifested several times in six months, but can be episodic. An attack of pain in the frontotemporal area is characterized as "compression by a hoop" or "squeezing with the vice". It lasts 4-6 hours, passes by itself, other symptoms are not accompanied.
- . Cluster headache . It appears spontaneously, a series of attacks lasting 15-60 minutes, which develop 2-3 times a day, repeated several weeks or months. The pain goes away suddenly. Its signs: acute, sharp, localized near the eye with a transition to the forehead and temple. Simultaneously with pain, the eye blushes on the affected side.
- . Head trauma . Pain occurs if the bones of the skull or its soft tissues have been damaged, localized on one side. With severe bruising or head compression, pain is spilled, accompanied by nausea or vomiting, nosebleeds, hearing, vision or speech impairment. Difficulty in breathing, convulsions may develop.
- . Neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve . After a certain movement of the jaw, or pressure on the skin in the parotid region, under the eye or in the region of the upper teeth, an attack of very strong, burning or shooting pain in the frontotemporal region develops. The pain is such that it forces the person to freeze, to stop earlier begun activity. Sometimes it helps to rub the sore spot.
- (повышение артериального давления). Hypertension (increase in blood pressure). В этом случае регистрируются повышенные цифры давления, на фоне которых периодически возникают: головная боль в висках и лбу (может быть в висках и затылке), «мушки» перед глазами, головокружение, боль в сердце, покраснение лица, шум в ушах .
- Синуситы легкого течения. Здесь обычно на фоне насморка или после перенесенной простуды появляется боль в височно-лобной области, повышается температура, возникают подташнивание, слабость, утомляемость. Если воспалились лобная или гайморова пазухи, вновь появляется или усиливается насморк, сопли вязкие, зачастую – слизисто-гнойные.
- Височный артериит . Его симптомы рассматривались в разделе «Если болят только виски».
- Офтальмологические заболевания .
Когда ощущается, что боль только иррадиирует в висок
Боль, отдающая в висок, говорит о таких возможных заболеваниях:
- Дисфункция височно-нижнечелюстного сустава . Здесь ощущается боль при движениях челюсти , отдающая в виски, затылок. Может казаться, что болят уши или глаза. Болит больше утром, потом симптом постепенно исчезает, возвращаясь к следующему утру. Во многих случаях при этом человек ощущает хруст или щелканье при открывании сустава, может сам просыпаться от скрежетания зубами.
- Травмы лица . Здесь имеет место факт травмы, отек мягких тканей или синяки в месте ее «получения».
- Церебральная ангиодистония (нарушение тонуса артериальных или венозных сосудов). Болит в затылке, или около уха, или в области глаз, или в лобной области, а отдает в висок. Боль возникает в любое время суток, имеет тупой, ноющий или ломящий характер. Вне приступа человек страдает бессонницей, головокружениями, у него часто немеют руки и в них появляется слабость, часто наблюдается сбой в работе желудочно-кишечного тракта и аллергии. Периодически развиваются приступы депрессии с ломотой в теле, затруднением дыхания, что иногда трудно отличить от органической патологии мозга (инсульта, энцефалита, опухоли).
Если болит височная и глазная области
Когда боль затрагивает висок и глаз, это может быть:
- . Hypertensive disease . The pain is symmetrical, it feels like a spasm, it is accompanied by nausea, dizziness, pain in the heart. Eliminated by drugs that reduce blood pressure.
- . Vegeto-vascular dystonia . Pain in the temporal-ophthalmic region appears when weather changes, stress, lack of sleep, can be accompanied by chills, sweating, nausea, panic attack. At the same time, blood pressure is normal, and the attack is well eliminated by anesthetic drugs. Vegeto-vascular dystonia is indicated by disorders that occur outside of headache attacks. It can be either pain and heart rhythm disturbances, or fits of shortness of air, or periodically developing abdominal pains with urge to defecate. In the dystonia of the vegetative system, sweating can be disturbed, a slight increase in temperature may appear, and the urination process may worsen. The diagnosis of vegetative-vascular dystonia is made when the examination of disturbing organs reveals nothing. More details about the symptoms of vegetative-vascular dystonia .
- . An attack of glaucoma . It starts suddenly, at night or in the morning, when stress happened on the day before, or a person experienced a strong emotional shock, or accidentally dripped into the eye atropine or another drug dilating the pupil. It hurts more than the eye. This pain is sharp, accompanied by vomiting, weakness, loss of appetite. The eye blushes, to the touch it is very hard. Such an attack can lead to blindness, but more often it happens that after it decreases vision. This condition is treated in the ophthalmologic department.
- , описанная выше. Cluster pain , described above.
- . Dysfunction of the temporomandibular joint . Its symptoms are discussed above.
- . Atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels . The pains do not have symmetry, localizing only on one side of the head, they rarely give into eyes.
- . Migraine . Headaches in the temples and eyes can also develop here, which occurs paroxysmally. The pain is strong, painful, has a pulsating character. It amplifies with loud sounds, sharp smells, bright light. Accompany the pain of dizziness, nausea, vomiting, disorientation in space. To anticipate the appearance of an attack is impossible, as is its duration. Anesthetics for headaches do not help; it is required to select preparations individually.
- . Meningitis . Its symptoms are described above.
- . Vascular aneurysm . The pain is localized on one side, strengthened by the movements of the head. This condition requires rapid diagnosis and surgical treatment, as it can lead to severe hemorrhagic stroke.
- . Tumor of the brain . The pain has a growing character, accompanied by dizziness, nausea, progression of focal symptoms. More about the symptoms of a brain tumor .
- . Sinusitis . In this case, the temperature rises, chills develop, breathing through the nose becomes difficult. Often there is lacrimation, loss of smell. This is accompanied by pain in one of the temples. Sinusitis is like a "common" cold. It should be suspected when there is a headache and when the vasoconstrictive drops in the nose do not help improve breathing. More about the symptoms of sinusitis .
If you hurt your ears and whiskey
Pain in the ears and temples is typical for:
- . otitis . In this case, the temperature rises, the ear begins to hear worse, it can feel "gurgling", "transfusion", a person hears "like a barrel." May discharge from the ear. Read more about symptoms of otitis .
- . temporal arteritis . Its features are described above.
- . inflammation of the temporomandibular joint . Pain is mainly associated with jaw movements, making it impossible to open the mouth wide.
If the pain is localized in the temporo-occipital region
Pain in the temples and occiput accompanies:
- . Physical or mental overexertion .
- . Chronic stress . He, like the above overstrain, is not accompanied by an increase in temperature, photophobia, increased sensitivity to sounds and so on.
- . Low intracranial pressure . Here, not only the headache develops, but also weakness, and buzzing or noise in the ears.
- , возникшая по неизвестной причине. Benign intracranial hypertension , which has arisen for an unknown reason. During the examination, neither tumors nor inflammation of the skull structures are detected. It manifests itself as a headache that occurs after sleeping or during sleep.
- – опухоль в надпочечнике, вырабатывающая избыток адреналина и норадреналина. Pheochromocytoma - a tumor in the adrenal gland that produces an excess of adrenaline and norepinephrine. It causes the development of paroxysmal pressure rises to extremely high figures - up to 300 mm Hg. Hypertension manifests itself as a headache in the region of the temples and occiput, a strong increase in heart rate, sweating, nausea and vomiting, and cramping of the calf muscles. The attack is also accompanied by a panic attack and a feeling of discomfort in the abdomen and chest. The attack lasts from 5 to 60 minutes (more often - about half an hour), after which the blood pressure drops sharply.
- : остеохондроз , сколиоз, спондилез, при которых страдает кровоснабжение головного мозга (сосуды, проходящие в области шеи, обеспечивают питание мозга). Pathologies of the spine in the cervical region : osteochondrosis , scoliosis, spondylosis, in which the blood supply of the brain suffers (vessels passing in the neck provide brain nutrition).
- (воспаление) мышц шеи. Myositis (inflammation) of the neck muscles. Their densification also leads to clamping of the vessels of the neck that feed the brain. More on the symptoms of myositis .
- . Vegeto-vascular dystonia .
- . Increased intracranial pressure . It can develop as a result of craniocerebral trauma, hydrocephalus , meningitis and encephalitis, intracranial hemorrhage, brain tumors, stroke. In this case, throbbing pain develops in the temples and occiput, accompanied by nausea.
- High blood pressure. The pains in the indicated localization most often develop in the morning, are felt as a heaviness in the head, pressing or pulsating pain in the temporo-occipital zone. Pain syndrome occurs when weather changes, and after fatigue or emotional exhaustion.
- , которая вызвала повышение внутричерепного давления. Head trauma , which caused an increase in intracranial pressure.
If the pain is accompanied by nausea
Pain in the temples and nausea are typical for:
- tension headache;
- intoxication with any severe ARVI, intestinal infection, angina, sinusitis;
- diseases that caused increased intracranial pressure: stroke, meningitis, encephalitis, brain tumors, head injury;
- hypertensive disease;
- and, finally, there may be a condition when migraine, hypertension, vegetative-vascular dystonia or temporal arteritis coincide with gastritis .
If the pain is severe
Severe pain in the temples is typical for:
- temporal arteritis;
- intoxication, including alcohol
- hypertensive disease;
- tension headache;
Sharp pain in the temples
A sharp pain accompanies:
- intake of food products with nitrates;
- consumption of large amounts of chocolate;
- craniocerebral injury;
- trigeminal neuralgia. For neuralgic pain, paroxysm is characteristic: short attacks of piercing, cutting, piercing like "lightning" or as "electric shock" follow one after another. On the face there are points, stimulation of which by pressure, washing, shaving, and also at conversation, chewing of food or its ingestion the attack arises. Therefore, the person once again is afraid to blink or move his head, so as not to provoke an attack;
- tension headache.
The causes of pain, depending on its location and nature
|The nature of pain||Left temple||Right temple|
|Shooting||Same as left|
|Unbending||Sinusitis, vascular aneurysm||Sinusitis, vascular aneurysm|
|Sharp, sharp||Cluster headache, glaucoma attack in the left eye||Cluster headache, an attack of glaucoma on the right eye|
|Dumb||Same as left|
|Aching||It can be either psychogenic pain, or caused by causes that lead to increased intracranial pressure||Similarly, pain in the left temple|
|Pressing||The same reasons as on the right||Pathological changes in the cervical spine, leading to a violation of blood supply to the brain: osteochondrosis, spondylosis|
What to do with pain in the temple
It is necessary to measure blood pressure, and if it is increased - contact a cardiologist, if normal - to a neurologist. Before a direct visit to the doctor, you can take " Ibuprofen ", "Analgin" or "Ketanov". At elevated levels above 140/99 mm Hg. pressure ½ tablet "Capsopresa" is recommended. It would be superfluous to hold a pinpoint massage: squeeze, and then massage for 1-2 minutes the skin on the membrane between the thumb and forefinger of the left hand (in men) or the right hand (in women).
In case, in addition to headache, nausea, fever, confusion, interruptions in the heart, nausea, an ambulance call are also noted.
Adequate treatment will be possible due to such studies:
- General blood test . It will indicate the presence or absence of inflammation in the body (by leukocyte count), its character - bacterial or viral (in prevalent forms), anemia , signs of blood cancer and the number of platelets.
- Biochemical blood test . It indicates the defeat of organs such as the liver, kidneys, pancreas, inflammation or swelling of which can lead to pain in the temples.
- Coagulogram . Indicates the nature of blood coagulation.
- Radiography of the skull and paranasal sinuses. Appointed in the case of craniocerebral trauma and with suspicion of a frontitis or sinusitis.
- Computer tomography of the brain. It is necessary for the diagnosis of stroke, intracranial hemorrhage, brain abscess, inflammation of the deep sinuses of the skull.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain. Helps in diagnosing those diseases as the previous method, but also, especially performed with contrast, can identify a tumor, demyelinating and mitochondrial (these are 2 groups of rare diseases) pathologies, encephalitis and meningitis.
- Magnetic resonance angiography. It is irreplaceable in the diagnosis of vascular pathology of the cranial cavity.
Based on the results of these examinations, treatment is prescribed. What it will be - medicamentous or operative - depends on the disease found. So, sinusitis, abscess and brain tumor are treated with surgical intervention. Whereas stroke, encephalitis, temporal arteritis, migraine and otitis media are predominantly medicamentous.
If high blood pressure has been determined, examinations are made to determine the cause of this condition:
- Kidney ultrasound;
- MRI of the brain;
- Computed tomography of the adrenal glands;
- Ultrasound of the thyroid gland;
- The levels of such hormones as adrenaline, noradrenaline, dopamine, renn.
If the analysis data does not indicate a specific pathology, the diagnosis is "Hypertensive disease" and only antihypertensive drugs are treated, depending on the level of arterial pressure, concomitant pathologies and damage to organs such as the brain (stroke, microstroke ), heart (heart attack), eyes, kidney. If the cause is found, elimination of the cause of the pathology is added to antihypertensive agents. Sometimes an operation may be necessary.
List of drugs for headaches can be found here .