Most of our compatriots, feeling discomfort or pain on the right under the edge, begin to look for ways that would help to clean the liver at home. Especially with such a search, with the further testing of all kinds of "folk remedies" by themselves, people who understand that they are not quite the right way of life, who know about their "love" to "junk food" and alcohol.
But our body is a smart, self-updating system. The processes of maintaining its own integrity and the normal functioning of any cell occur every fraction of a second, without stopping either in a dream or on vacation. While the body is coping, and there are no symptoms of liver damage (we will talk about them later), it is not worth interfering with some folk remedies, whether they are many times "tested" by the advisor himself. Such “efforts” can cater to a hospital bed and even - when using aggressive methods like treatment with celandine - get a ticket for a consultation with a pathologist.
We do not say that it is not necessary to help the liver: after all, this organ plays an enormous role in our vital activity, and during its defeat a person fails for a long time. But the best support of the main filter of our body is not at all the removal of ephemeral "slags", but the creation of optimal conditions for its work. How to clean the liver of toxins, about which "pitfalls" can be broken and why - read on.
This organ is one of the largest in the body. In its structure, it is a gland, but it sends the products of its work not to the blood, like the endocrine gland of the internal secretion, but to the gallbladder.
The liver performs the following functions:
- Synthesis of proteins. So, it produces:
- albumin is a protein necessary for retaining the liquid portion of blood in the vessels;
- proteins that bind various hormones;
- proteins that bind toxins;
- globulins. Some of them work in conjunction with the immune system, destroying microorganisms, as well as memorizing them for quicker response when they are secondary in the body;
- proteins of the blood coagulation system. Thus, the liver is involved in hemostasis: in violation of its function, spontaneous (without injury) massive bleeding can occur.
- Conversion of various substances (amino or fatty acids) into glucose, which provides the body with energy.
- Storage of glucose in the form of glycogen, which in an emergency situation of lack of energy will help it to provide for 1-2 minutes.
- The deposition of some necessary body vitamins.
- Synthesis of cholesterol (it is needed so that any cell can maintain integrity), phospholipids, lipoproteins (read about the normal level of cholesterol in the blood ).
- The secretion of bile, without which it is impossible to digest fats from food.
- Storage of some microelements necessary for biochemical reactions: cobalt, copper, iron.
- Synthesis of certain hormones and enzymes.
- , то есть обезвреживающая. The main function of the liver is detoxification , that is, neutralizing. Thus, the liver captures a toxic, fat-soluble bilirubin, formed as a result of the breakdown of hemoglobin from spent or lost red blood cells, binds it to glucuronic acid, which makes it soluble in water and can be disposed of in feces and urine.
It captures the liver and other toxic substances, both formed in the body (an excess of hormones, vitamins, substances that are obtained normally in the process of metabolism), and those that enter us through the mouth, skin, or with air. Only rare substances, and those that enter the body, being absorbed in the vessels of the mucous membrane or the mouth or nose, during their metabolism can bypass the liver. The rest, whatever way they would enter the body, must pass through this organ.
It turns out that the liver is the largest filter in the body, which - and this is its uniqueness - is able to recover from all of the remaining healthy tissue. But it does not work as an industrial filter, whose cells can become clogged with frequent passage of filtered substances through the “grid”. At the cellular level, the structure of the liver is very complex, and the sieve does not resemble itself. Neutralization occurs through chemical reactions, as a result of which a potentially hazardous substance is modified to a non-hazardous one. There is another form of neutralization. It is carried out by special immune cells of the liver - reticuloendotheliocytes, which "absorb" and "digest" dangerous and bacteria-seeding products.
Therefore, to clean the liver of alcohol or other substances does not need some kind of "washing", but its sufficient blood supply and lack of receipt of potentially dangerous substances.
Slags and toxins
The concept of "toxins" in medicine is. This means substances potentially hazardous to an individual organ or organism as a whole. Toxicologists call the waste products of microbes, but doctors of other specialties use this word for:
- household and industrial chemicals ;
- poisons used to kill insects or weeds;
- some plants and mushrooms;
- substances that are formed in the diseased organ themselves (for example, in a malignant tumor) or those that it cannot neutralize, and they are forced to accumulate. In the case of liver diseases, these are the products of protein decay, ammonia, specific neurotransmitters and bilirubin that poison the brain.
Toxins accumulate in the body, many - only in certain tissues. They are derived in several ways (each has its own inference path):
- – с дыханием (этот путь не работает при повреждении печени); through the lungs - with breathing (this path does not work if the liver is damaged);
- – с мочой (если печень именно поражена, а не временно «отравлена» алкоголем или «вредной» пищей, этот путь – основной, пока не произойдет восстановление печеночной ткани); through the kidneys - with urine (if the liver is affected, and not temporarily "poisoned" by alcohol or "harmful" food, this path is the main until the restoration of the liver tissue occurs);
- – с желчью (при временном «оглушении» печени, когда ее структура не повреждается, основными будут этот и следующий пути детоксикации); through the liver - with bile (with a temporary “stunning” of the liver, when its structure is not damaged, the main and the next ways of detoxification will be);
- – с калом; through the intestines - with feces;
- – с пόтом. through the skin - with pers.
The term "slags" in medicine does not apply. This word is a popular analogue of "toxins." Neither toxins nor toxins accumulate in the liver. Only fats (this is called steatosis or fatty hepatosis ) or copper (in case of Konovalov-Wilson's disease) can be deposited here. Toxins, passing through this organ, lead either to transient (temporary) disorders of the liver tissue, or to permanent damage to its structure.
When the doctor says: “It is necessary to clean the liver of slags”, this is a figurative expression and means that the joint efforts of the doctor and the patient should allow the organ to restore its own tissue (if there are no rare genetic lesions that will progress, then it is quite possible) .
Symptoms of liver damage
If there is a violation of his work, the whole body suffers: the nervous system is affected, the metabolism and blood formation suffers, digestion is disturbed, the complexion of the face and the whites of the eyes change. The symptoms of liver affliction when the help of a gastroenterologist or infectious disease specialist is needed are as follows:
- yellow staining of only the whites of the eyes or of the skin too;
- darkened urine that persists not only in the morning;
- light (clay color) feces;
- I want to sleep all the time;
- the slightest job is tiring;
- heaviness under the ribs on the right;
- appetite was gone;
- only sick of the mention of fried or fatty foods.
Many symptoms are non-specific, that is, they can appear in many diseases. To differentiate, that is, to distinguish one from the other, can only be a paramedic or a doctor (a person who has studied the structure and functions of all organs for several years, as well as the symptoms of their defeat). And he should not only hear about the manifestations of the disease that are disturbing you, but also examine you, test / perculate the liver, analyze its functions from blood, urine and feces tests, and learn from the doctor the functional diagnostics of the specific structure of this organ according to ultrasound.
If the doctor is convinced that these are signs of liver pathology, inpatient treatment at the relevant hospital is recommended (self-treatment of liver diseases is deadly):
- лекарствами (тетрациклином, салициловой кислотой, вальпроатом, препаратами против СПИДа или против малярии, кордароном, метотрексатом, мышьяком, витамином A), желтым фосфором, грибами – лечение проходит в токсикологическом многопрофильной больницы или отделении гастроэнтерологии; if poisoning has occurred: with drugs (tetracycline, salicylic acid, valproate, anti-AIDS or anti-malaria drugs, cordarone, methotrexate, arsenic, vitamin A), yellow phosphorus, fungi - the treatment takes place in a toxicological multidisciplinary hospital or gastroenterology department;
- , лечение проводится в условиях инфекционной больницы; if viral hepatitis markers are found , the treatment is carried out in an infectious diseases hospital;
- как возможная причина поражения печени, лечение проводится в условиях отделения сосудистой хирургии; if an ultrasound with Doppler revealed vascular pathology as a possible cause of liver damage, the treatment is carried out in the conditions of the Department of Vascular Surgery;
- , терапию проводят в ожоговом отделении; when the possible causes of liver disease were burns , therapy is carried out in the burn unit;
- , поражение печени при тепловом ударе или при переохлаждении лечится в терапевтическом отделении многопрофильного стационара. fibrosis, cirrhosis of the liver , Wilson-Konovalov disease , liver damage during heat stroke or hypothermia is treated in the therapeutic department of a multidisciplinary hospital.
What methods can be used to treat the liver in the hospital?
- или, по-народному, «капельница». Detoxification infusion therapy or, in a popular way, “dropper”. Here, 1.5-3 liters of crystalloid solutions (sodium chloride, Ringer's solution, glucose solution of 5%) are infused into the vein, designed to more likely remove urine bilirubin and other products formed during liver damage.
- ( Дюфалак ), задача которой — связывание продуктов распада белка и выведение из кишечника токсинов, которые образуют в нем бактерии, «поднявшие голову» в условиях повреждения печени (до этого их рост подавлялся). Intake of lactulose preparations ( Duphalac ), whose task is to bind the breakdown products of the protein and remove toxins from the intestine, which form bacteria in it that “lifted their heads” under conditions of liver damage (until then their growth was inhibited).
- : Атоксил, Активированный уголь, Полисорб . Sorbents : Atoxyl, Activated carbon, Polysorb . Their task is to bind all the toxic substances for the body from the intestines.
- Hepatoprotectors : Heptral, Glutargin, Hepa-Mertz. Their task is to inactivate toxic products of nitrogen metabolism.
- : «Альбумин». Protein drugs that are administered intravenously : "Albumin." It will bind toxic fat-soluble products, and, in particular, bilirubin, after which - remove them. Also, albumin will help keep water in the bloodstream.
- . Transfusion of single-frozen fresh-frozen plasma . It has all the coagulation factors that are so lacking in liver damage.
- : «Контрикал», «Гордокс». Proteinase inhibitors : “Contrycal”, “Gordox”. They are used to improve the condition of the blood coagulation system in conditions of its insufficiency.
- – аппаратный метод очищения плазмы от токсичных продуктов, когда из сосудистого русла изымается некоторое количество крови, ее центрифугируют и возвращают только эритроциты. Plasmapheresis is a hardware method of purifying plasma from toxic products, when a certain amount of blood is withdrawn from the vascular bed, it is centrifuged and only the red blood cells are returned. Instead of own plasma with a large number of bilirubin, ammonia, medium molecules, colloid and crystalloid solutions, as well as a certain amount of one-group plasma, overflow.
- . Interferon-based antiviral drugs . They are used only for viral hepatitis and cirrhosis.
- . Enema . This event is obligatory in case of liver damage, if there was no independent stool within a day. Otherwise, it may happen that the products formed during the processing of food will be absorbed.
The patient is shown protein-free (in the acute stage) or low-protein diet. It is needed to stop the body from being poisoned by the products of the decay of proteins that the diseased liver cannot neutralize.
What can be done at home
Diet to help the liver
If there are no signs of liver damage, and you only want to help her better cope with such stresses as alcohol and "harmful" fatty foods, you can do the following:
- Drink at least 2 liters of fluid per day (if there is no pathology of the heart or kidneys). The first 1-2 glasses use on an empty stomach, in a cool form.
- Stop drinking or reduce alcohol.
- Reduce the volume, and then completely abandon the fried and smoked products, because they create an increased load on the liver tissue, which impairs its detoxification function. A similar rule applies to products with dyes, preservatives and stabilizers.
- Eliminate from the diet chocolate, game, sorrel, green borscht.
- Eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, and cereals. Foods rich in fiber need to be ground.
- Meat and fish - only boiled or baked, low-fat varieties.
- Eggs - in the form of steam omelets, but you can 1 soft-boiled egg.
- Dairy products - everything, but not fat and not sharp. Ideally - own-made yogurts, kefir, yogurt or narine.
- Compotes, mousses and jellies - you can.
- From sweets you can marmalade, honey, marshmallow, candy, marshmallows.
- Preference should be given to baked, stewed and boiled dishes.
- Starting a morning meal with a small amount of fat (such as butter): to stimulate the contraction of the gallbladder and the release of bile.
- Try to give preference not to black tea, but to herbal teas with chamomile and mint. At the same time try to buy herbs in a pharmacy.
You can perform such breathing exercises:
- lie down on the floor, knees bent;
- take 10 breaths exactly with the ribcage, controlling it with two hands, one of which lies on the stomach, the second on the chest (the first hand should not move);
- now you need 10 abdominal breaths; control is the same;
- breathe a little in the usual rhythm until you rest;
- inhale with the breast, then roll the air, without exhaling it, from the chest cavity into the abdominal cavity. Try to make about 10 such "rolls", after which you can relax.
Hazardous cleaning methods
On the Internet and the printed literature, you can find many recommendations on how to clean the liver with folk remedies. It must be said here that even if you decide to try some of them, first consult with your doctor about their feasibility. We will give the most common, and quite dangerous methods.
The method itself is not bad, to eliminate constipation in the absence of organic bowel disease. But it should be done with the knowledge of technology, that is, with cold water. A large amount of warm fluid injected into the rectum, will certainly suck in, which is dangerous by increasing the load on the kidneys and heart, and even the development of brain edema (the latter is a deadly complication).
With frequent holding of enemas, in the absence of liver pathology, they can lead to dysbiosis, as water will wash out all beneficial bacteria from the intestines (see enema for constipation ). Another danger of an enema is injury to the rectal mucosa, which can lead (especially in hemorrhoids) to bleeding.
Urine is what happened after filtering your own blood with your kidneys. That is, it is a product that the body initially "rejected" as spent.
At the same time, the liver is not cleaned, but strained: glycogen breaks down in it - a glucose depot, protein synthesis is disturbed, because of which its own protein begins to break down. This leads to a change in blood pH, and such a state, if it exists for a long time, disrupts the functioning of the endocrine glands, and this, in turn, leads to anorexia.
These are non-medicinal agents to which properties are “attributed” to help the liver recover. But the real composition of such additives is unknown, and “help” is doubtful. We would not advise using such "drugs".
Drinking large amounts of water
If the body is healthy, such a short-term exposure can pass without a trace (but also without benefit). But if there is a deterioration in the functioning of the kidneys of the heart, this may exacerbate their diseases, as they will have to cope with an increased volume of fluid.
Choleretic methods are also not safe.
The following are methods that have a choleretic effect and are extremely dangerous for certain diseases and conditions of the body, namely:
- Gallstones (gallstone disease), cancer of the bile duct, Vater's nipple of the gallbladder - conditions causing obstructive jaundice
- Acute hepatitis
- Acute gastritis, stomach cancer, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer
- Liver dystrophy
- Pregnancy, threatened abortion
- Constriction of the esophagus, esophagus cancer, esophageal varicose veins
- Acute or exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis
- Bronchopulmonary pathologists with shortness of breath
- Hypertension in combination with the risk of stroke and other complications of vascular diseases.
None of these folk remedies should be used without consulting a doctor.
Tubing or "blind sounding"
This is a technique when a quantity of choleretic (sorbitol, magnesia, butter, egg yolk) is drunk on an empty stomach or at night, after which you need to lie on your right side and put a heating pad or a bottle of warm water under it. At the same time, the head end of the bed should be raised. It is necessary to lie at least half an hour. This method is dangerous:
- overlapping of the biliary tract by shifting (as the outflow of bile will intensify) with a stone;
- deterioration of the liver tissue, if it was already unhealthy;
- increased work of the pancreas, which is inextricably linked with the work of bile;
- exacerbation of the disease 12 duodenal ulcer, which gets an increased amount of bile, and with it the stomach.
Therefore, the previously popular carts are today recognized as insecure, ineffective and are no longer used. They were replaced by preparations of ursodeoxycholic acid derivatives, which are prescribed only by a doctor according to strict indications (Ursofalk, Ursosan, Urosliv, Urodez, Urdox, see preparations for the treatment of the liver ).
"Cleaning" with lemon juice and olive oil
Usually, these two agents are used together to potentiate the choleretic effect. As a result, first, the biliary tract, and then under their action, the intestines begin to contract actively. From the gallbladder, bile enters the duodenum with bile with fibrin protein (a stagnation indicator) and small calculi. If there was a bigger stone there, it will move than it will cause severe pain (biliary colic) and - if it cannot get out on its own - it will give an opportunity to get on the operating table.
Purification with a decoction of oats
Here it is proposed to soak the grains of oats, and after a while boil them and take them gradually. This product causes the release of large amounts of bile from the gallbladder. The emptying of the bladder gives a signal to the liver to synthesize an even greater amount of bile, which, under the conditions of an already high load on it (the cleaning is usually done for a reason, and after heavy libation or overeating) can now cause structural damage to the liver tissue.
Such oatmeal broth is contraindicated in diseases of the kidneys and heart. It should not be taken by people suffering from cereal intolerance, as this can lead to severe diarrhea and worsening of the general condition.
"Cleansing" with herbs
Traditional healers propose to “clean” the liver with one or several herbs, such as:
Such an intervention causes an increased contraction of the gallbladder with the release of a large amount of bile into the duodenum. This causes a reflex on the part of the pancreas, which should produce an enzyme release. A lot of bile - a lot of enzymes - reactive pancreatitis (or exacerbation of the chronic). And if there are stones in the gallbladder, then with a flow of bile, they can move and block the biliary tract, which causes poisoning of the body with bile acids (causing severe itching) and bilirubin (affects the brain). This condition is treated with a surgical method.
In parallel, many herbs have a diuretic effect , which will not be useful in renal pathology.
Most often it is advised to choose "Allohol". This drug enhances the formation of bile. It consists of dry bile extract, garlic, nettle and activated charcoal. It copes well with its task in conditions involving the stagnation of bile in its excretory paths. But the drug is contraindicated in diseases of the liver itself: hepatitis, hepatic dystrophy, as it will force the already sick organ to work in a strengthened mode (whereas he needs a sparing procedure). You can not drink pills even if there are stones in the gallbladder: a large amount of bile will precisely move the calculus, and it will clog the thin tubes along which it must move.
Tea to clean the liver
The action of this tea is both an increase in the production of bile by the liver, and the acceleration of its elimination. As a result, the liver synthesizes a large amount of bile, which enters the intestines unprepared for such a turn of events. The latter may be inflamed.
Strengthening the work of the liver does not lead to its cleaning, but, conversely, to an increase in its problems, which previously could be compensated. Thus, both secretory, and hormone-synthesizing, and hemostatic functions of the liver can suffer.
Beet, more precisely, its broth is a powerful choleretic, increasing the synthesis of bile by the liver. Its reception leads to the previously described effects: displacement of calculus, hepatic tissue dysfunction, reactive pancreatitis, gastroduodenitis, exacerbation of peptic ulcer.
A decoction of its fruit has a choleretic effect. What this leads to can be read on the example of tubages, tea for cleaning the liver or receiving oil.
It contains various herbs. Some increase the production of bile, the second - its excretion. As a result, the liver does not rest, but works hard.
Hopefully, we were able to appeal to the voice of your mind so that you would refuse to carry out procedures with the dubious name “cleansing”. At least - without prior approval from a doctor who will assess the state of your liver at the moment.