The topic of antioxidants has recently been actively discussed not only in the media, but also in serious scientific literature. It is with antioxidants that many scientists link the prospects for combating human aging.
However, there are also a lot of people willing to cash in on the topical topic, so it is necessary to explain to the readers all the advantages and disadvantages of antioxidant therapy offered by the pharmaceutical industry and the manufacturers of dietary supplements.
Oxidants - what is it?
So, oxidants are products of oxygen metabolism, the structure of which lacks one electron. Such a molecule in a chemical sense becomes very aggressive, as it strives to take away the missing electron from other substances.
Oxidants, in an effort to restore their electron shell, trigger a series of chemical reactions that are not always favorable from a biological point of view. The chemical name of oxidants is free radicals. Also, according to the theory of Pisarzhevsky, oxidation is the process of elimination of electrons from atoms or ions, therefore another name for oxidants is oxidizers.
Free radicals attack primarily chemically fragile molecules, which include fats and glycoproteins, which are the main structural component of cell membranes, as well as our holy cells — the nucleus and DNA. Therefore, oxidants are the most powerful mutagens.
In a biological sense, exposure to oxidants causes mutations, as well as the aging of cells and tissues. That is, by neutralizing the effects of free radicals on our bodies, we will greatly advance in the fight for longevity, and also we can possibly defeat some types of cancer.
Where do oxidants come from?
- — как уже указывалось, оксиданты образуются в организме в результате метаболизма кислорода. Oxygen - as already mentioned, oxidants are formed in the body as a result of oxygen metabolism. However, this is not their only source.
- — мощнейшим поставщиком свободных радикалов является радиация, а также ультрафиолетовое излучение. Radiation, ultraviolet irradiation - the most powerful supplier of free radicals is radiation, as well as ultraviolet radiation. Fans of sunbathing provide themselves with oxidants for the long months ahead. Please note that people living in rural areas look somewhat older than their urban peers, the reason is that the first ones are more exposed to the sun.
- — на третьем месте среди источников окислителей, после кислорода и радиации, находится табачный дым. Tobacco smoke - in third place among the sources of oxidants, after oxygen and radiation, is tobacco smoke.
- — также окислители могут попадать в человеческий организм в готовом виде, а именно с пищей. Oxidants in products - also oxidizing agents can get into the human body as a finished product , namely with food. It is extremely dangerous in this sense, the fat exposed to high temperatures. That is, a hamburger, belyash, french fries or kebabs are serious suppliers of free radicals.
- — также пополняют список оксидантов (см. вред бытовой химии и как сделать безопасные моющие средства самим ). Exhaust gases, household chemicals, cosmetics and perfumery, many medicines - also supplement the list of oxidants (see the harm of household chemicals and how to make safe detergents themselves ).
The need for additional use of artificial antioxidants has a serious theoretical basis. Indeed, fast food, tobacco smoke, a beach holiday or a solarium, exhaust gases, an abundance of household chemicals, as well as medicines, lack of plant food do not leave our antioxidant system without work. Based on this, many manufacturers of dietary supplements conclude on the need to add artificial antioxidants to products.
Modern pharmacology offers the following antioxidant supplements
- Antioxidant complex - vitamins A, E, C.
- Synthetic Coenzyme Q10 - used in cosmetics.
- Mineral dietary supplements with supposedly antioxidant effect - microhydrin, coral club products.
- Lipoic and succinic acid.
Do we need these pills?
- As you know, synthetic vitamins are not at all identical to natural ones, and, therefore, they do not have all the fullness of their properties and the body recognizes this difference (see myths about the benefits of vitamin complexes for immunity and health), it is better to eat vegetables, fruits, nuts drink natural fresh juices.
- Even if it is assumed that coenzyme Q1 added to the cream works, it cannot rejuvenate your skin, it can only slightly slow down the aging process in it (see harmful substances in cosmetics ).
- So far, not a single serious, controlled study, which proved the clinical efficacy of antioxidant dietary supplements, has been conducted. Therefore, any statements by manufacturers about their miraculous effect are nothing more than a publicity stunt.
How to protect yourself from oxidants?
The recipe for dealing with oxidants, and therefore with aging is not really complicated.
- Stop eating fast food, give up fried foods.
- Give up smoking.
- Do not be fond of beach holidays and do not go to the solarium.
- Be more out of town, where you will breathe clean air.
- Eat more plant foods.
- Of alcoholic beverages, give preference to red wine and high-quality dark beer.
- There should be less animal fat and more vegetable in food, especially if it is unrefined olive oil .
But what about antioxidant supplements? Let them be eaten by those who sell them.
Natural antioxidant barrier
Mother Nature, having placed a man in an ocean of oxidants, was supposed to provide a mechanism of protection against them. Such a shield are antioxidants - substances containing one extra electron in their structure, which they easily give off, neutralizing free radicals.
- – эндогенные, к ним относятся различные ферменты, в частности коэнзим Q10, а также глутатион – один из метаболитов незаменимой аминокислоты цистеина. Antioxidants can be formed inside the body - endogenous, these include various enzymes, in particular coenzyme Q10, as well as glutathione - one of the metabolites of the essential amino acid cysteine.
- – экзогенные антиоксиданты. Or to come with food - exogenous antioxidants.
Exogenous antioxidants are much more:
- — А, Е, С, совокупность этих трех веществ составляет так называемый антиоксидантный комплекс ( именно натуральные витамины, а не синтетические ) Natural vitamins - A, E, C, the combination of these three substances is the so-called antioxidant complex ( it is natural vitamins, not synthetic )
- , наибольшую активность проявляют селен, марганец, цинк. Minerals , the most active are selenium, manganese, zinc.
- — чай, кофе, какао Tannins - tea, coffee, cocoa
- — в красных ягодах Anthocyanins - in red berries
- — класс химических веществ (гидроксипроизводные флавона), которые содержатся только в растениях. Bioflavonoids are a class of chemicals (flavone hydroxy derivatives) that are found only in plants.
On the flavonoids stands will stop separately. The best natural antioxidants are fruits and vegetables that have a purple, burgundy color, as well as citrus fruits, legumes, nuts, etc. It is known that in 1936 the first flavonoid, which for some time was called “vitamin R”, was isolated from red pepper.
|Chokeberry||Red pepper||Grape, red wine||Black (bitter) chocolate, cocoa||Sea buckthorn|
|Hawthorn||Citrus Peel||Bow||Green tea||Eggplant|
Since it is the plant food that is richest in antioxidants, it is worthwhile to list the plants whose use best protects us from oxidizing agents.
|Artichoke||Legumes, especially red, variegated beans||Blueberries||Pink grapefruit||Cherry, sweet cherry|
|Black Currant||Raspberry black and red||Strawberry wild-strawberry||Apples||Nuts, especially pecans|